Fiberglass entry doors are the #1 replacement choice by homeowners and are best suited for single-home residences.
- Beauty – Fiberglass entry doors most closely mimic the defined grain of authentic wood doors and come in a number of wood grain textures like oak, cherry, mahogany and fir as well as a variety of stain and paint colors. Additionally, fiberglass doors offer many options for door glass, including decorative door glass, which improves curb appeal.
- Endurance – Unlike wood doors, fiberglass entry doors do not shrink, warp, split, crack or delaminate. They’re ideal for harsh or humid climates. Because fiberglass doors last so long, many come with long warranties. ProVia doors, for instance, come with a limited lifetime warranty that guarantees the doors through the entirety of the ownership of the home by the door purchaser, plus one subsequent homeowner. Paint and stain finishes are warranted for up to 10 years.
- Maintenance – Fiberglass entry doors offer the lowest maintenance, resisting denting and scratching, and can be cleaned with mild soap and water. These doors can be re-finished, but must be done by a professional.
- Energy efficiency – Fiberglass entry door systems are engineered to be highly energy efficient. The polyurethane core, high-performance, heat-resistant window trim and weatherstripping work together to keep the cold out in the winter and heat out in the summer. All Ply Gem entry doors without glass are ENERGY STAR certified and many models with glass also meet ENERGY STAR standards.
- Security – The solid construction of fiberglass entry doors provides significant security over wood doors.
- Cost – Fiberglass doors can be comparable in cost to wood doors or can be significantly higher, depending on the model, glass options and hardware selected, but offer longer durability and far less maintenance.
Steel Entrance Doors
Steel doors more commonly are used by commercial property owners but also are well-suited for residential purposes.
- Beauty –Steel entry doors are available in smooth or wood grain textures in multiple stains and paint finishes, and come in a variety of door styles, including some with glass.
- Endurance – Steel doors won’t crack or warp and are the strongest, most durable doors available on the market.
- Maintenance – Although generally low maintenance, if scratched through the galvanization, these doors can rust if not properly primed and painted. Dents and dings can be pulled and puttied with an auto-body repair kit.
- Energy Efficiency – Steel entry doors offer significantly more energy efficiency than wood doors. Efficiency ratings will vary based on overall construction.
- Security – Steel entry doors offer the best solution for property owners concerned with building or home security.
- Cost – Steel entry doors are very affordable compared to wood doors and offer significant long-term value. Total cost can vary widely depending on door style and options chosen.